Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tribute to My Mum


I'm so blessed to have a role model mum.

She shows me by example - how to be
super caring, unconditionally loving, generously giving, work hard for the
family, trust in God through prayers & thanksgiving. I'm not as good as her at these YET...still trying. My son is so blessed to have her as a Grandma...she is of course his no.2 favourite (sometimes she takes over my no.1 favourite spot). I really couldn't have survived being a mother without her love & help in so many ways.

My mum also sacrificed a lot for the family. Just money wise alone... she is a Saint & a miracle worker. For the past 25 years she has worked so hard, usually 12 hours daily so that she can provide for me (she saved for my overseas degree against all odds), for my sis (she helped her pay for her poly studies through her CPF), and now still supporting my father who rarely worked these 25 years (she has the burden of saving for both their old age needs - so she had to defer her retirement as long as she is able to as she doesn't want to 'burden' me & my sis). I had to work since I was 12 years old to help support myself & it has taught me a lot of valuable life lessons.

In so many families, someone has chosen not to work & not to contribute to the family...of course some people work & do not contribute either. It's a choice and it's not fate-stop using fate or health etc.. as an excuse if you are cos it's your life, your choice & even Dr Willian Tan who is ill in many ways has lived a truly inspiration life, many stay at home mums have started online shops to supplement income or take on low paying home based work. If there is a will, there is a way! I think one way to improve this issue is to teach the children of today how to live a meaningful & purposeful life. Hence I have gone from being a social worker to a trainer of life skills programmes & to be a personal life coach. Our life experiences can inspire us :)

To all the dedicated parents & grandparents (yes...there are super dads & grandpas out there too) thank you & keep shining cos you are special & appreciated and most importantly, what you do does make a big difference (even though you seldom hear us say so).

1 comment:

  1. Yeap..... All mum are great..... er... bad one very small portion lah.......

    ReplyDelete