Friday, June 26, 2009

Memories-Photos & Videos storage tips

Do invest in the best camera you can afford with the following functions :
1. anti hand shake (cos your kid will be active & not sit still for most shots)
2. shock proof (mine can survive a 1.5m drop)
3. waterproof (mine is for up to 3 meters-great for outdoor water activities like swimming pool, beach, rainy days).
Of course, buy an additional battery to carry with you..trust me, you will need it cos you don't want to miss capturing any precious moments...also when you start videoing, it gets used up fast. Personally...I like Olympus...very clear pictures :) I bought one for home and one for work too.

My all time favourite handphone is the Sony Erricson Cyber-Shot hand phone my thoughtful husband got for me as a 'delivery' present when our son was born :) It's 3.2 megapixel captures stunning shots & I love the multiple shots it can take so that I can choose the 'best picture' (this function is a gem for taking active kids in action). He knows I love taking photos & it's so convenient to have a camera on me all the time cos my hand phone will go out with me everywhere.

Photo/Video storage tip: After many trial & errors, I have set up a system that enables me to save & retrieve my growing collection of photos & videos. I save them on my laptop into folders titled : Jan-Mar 09, Apr-Jun 09, Jul-Sept 09 & Oct-Dec 09. Every year I save them into a DVD discs for that Year. In each folder, there are sub categories by occasions (CNY, Christmas, holidays), celebrations (Birthdays, Mother/Father day), photos with friend's kids, name of outing (ie. Singapore Zoo, Sentosa) etc. I also separate the videos into another folder but this is up to your preference. I plan to put all the videos into a VCD next.

Printing Tip: In the 1st 6 months, I printed tons of photos...every photo is important (sounds familiar?). It was a costly 'hobby'! Anyway, you'll soon outgrow that stage and practicality will set in. So...now every 3 months/ 6 months / yearly (depends on how free I am), I will select a short list of my favourite photos to put into another folder titled For printing 2009 and then at the end of each year, I shortlist them again & put them into a VCD for printing. If you print 200 photos, it's only 20 cents per piece!

Showcasing photos: Albums are the norm...but I also enjoy selecting 2-3 dozen MOST FAVOUITE PHOTOS (meaning baby & me look great) with FAVOURITE MOMENTS & FAVOURITE PEOPLE & arranging them on to a big picture frame-Ikea has lots of great varieties for all price range (cut & paste your FAVOURITE parts of the photos). My mum often ask my son about those photos and he can tell us who the people in it are and what we did when we took it & even what we did together with them recently :) Brilliant memory & visual aid. Sometimes it's very funny too...like he keeps saying the baby photos of him is of 'Di-Di' (Mandarin for little brother) but he is our only child! We are still trying to tell him that's him & that he's even more handsome now :P
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! this is helpful...we have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many photos & it's a messy headache.

    ReplyDelete